Every person wants to make an impact on the world, but few people have the ability or drive to impact the world for Christ and leave a legacy, but I know someone who did. George Clay Law- “Preacher” Law to a countless number, George to many, ‘Old man Law’ to numerous people, uncle to lots, brother to 12, dad to seven, great grandpa to four (soon-to-be 5), son to 2, and honey to one precious lady, but to me he was simply grandpa. A grandpa to 16 (soon-to-be 17) what he called ‘grandbrats.’ As much as I think about it, finding the right words to describe my grandpa completely is extremely difficult. George Law, stationed with the Navy in Chicago back in 1950, walked through Grant Park and noticed a woman, Lois, who had never been to Grant Park even though she lived in Chicago. It was love at first sight. Who knew that fateful day would produce all that it has. In 1960, my grandparents made a life-changing decision-the decision to trust Christ as Savior. Since that day, neither one of them was ever the same nor the family.
While living in Lynchburg, my grandfather followed the call to preach, so he picked up his family and moved to Winston-Salem to attend Piedmont Bible College, which I have the privilege to call my school, as well. My grandfather had the privilege to serve in so many different capacities like pastorates, camps, and other churches. I remember him as the pastor of Chamblissburg Baptist Church in Virginia where he served for 22 years before retiring to Roanoke, Va. He loved this church, he loved the people, but it was all because He loved his Lord. That fact was evident in EVERYTHING he did.
My grandpa was a funny man. Everyone loved his quick wit, his huge smile, his infectious laugh and funny, yet sometimes corny jokes. Man, he loved a good joke and although some were not funny or did not make sense, you had to laugh because he laughed. The last joke anyone heard him tell was, (now prepare yourself…), ‘Why did George Washington wear red, white, and blue suspenders?’ why? ‘To hold up his pants!’ See it is a strange joke, but you cannot help, but laugh, because his laugh and his smile were contagious! As my dad and I looked through pictures for my grandpa’s visitation we noticed something…if you compare pictures of when he was in the Navy and after he got saved the smile on his face is huge and there are FEW pictures where he does not have that smile!! It is truly contagious! He had the true joy of the Lord!
My grandpa was a family man. He loved his wife. He loved his 7 ‘pride and joy’s.’ He loved his ‘grandbrats.’ He would do anything for any of us. He took many of us fishing (even when I caught him…Yes my fishhook was caught in the back of his shirt!) He played games with us. We helped pick things out of the garden. He showed us how to have fun with family. And believe me, we have LOTS of fun as a family or should I say, we ‘may or may not’ have fun as a family! (sorry, that’s a family joke!)
My grandpa was a fervent man for the cause of Christ. Although the other two are awesome, this one sticks out more than the others do. I’ve heard it said so many times recently that when my grandpa trusted Christ as Savior, he was NEVER the same. He knew where he would be if it weren’t for Christ. He took his relationship with Christ to a level that not many people take it too. Most Christians are ‘Sunday Christians’ or know how to play the ‘game’ really well, but my grandpa preached it AND he lived it. There was nothing two-faced or fake about him or his relationship with Jesus. He was known for his yearly calendars with the salvation message on the back or a 10 commandments coin that he would pass out to ANYONE he crossed paths with and believe me I mean ANYONE! If he was eating at a restaurant, near the end of his meal he would ask the waiter/waitress to come over and he would witness to him/her while making a bow tie out of part of his/her tip. If you would call him or went to visit him, he would not let you leave without praying with you first. He instilled something in so many of his family members just by practicing what he preached. He was not scared to proclaim the name of Christ but did so patiently and persistently. If I could live a quarter of the Christian life that he lived, I would be happy, but his example and legacy will live on in me. I could go on and on about my grandpa, but he would hate that I’ve written this much about him. He would ask something like…”do you know his Jesus?” Jesus made such a difference in his life. Let Jesus make the difference in your life. Jesus came, died on the cross, and rose again the 3rdday for your sins and mine, so we can live eternally with Jesus! If you have never heard this or would like to know more, please ask.
Selfishly, I’m sad that my grandpa is not on earth anymore. I’m forever going to miss his example, his jokes, and someone to call and pray with, but his legacy lives. Although I’m sad, I know exactly where my grandpa is and he could not be happier, because he’s where he’s longed to go for some time. I just pray I make Jesus and my grandpa happy with my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment